The flying plank was developed in 1954 by Al
Backstrom assisted by Phil Easley and Jack
Powell as an attempt to combine minimum size
with reasonable performance. The prototype EPB-1
was used for drag reduction tests at Mississippi
State University. Plans for the ﾖ1A development
were sold and a number built, most with twin
wingtip rudders, but some were completed with a
central fin and rudder. Spans have varied up to
9.30 m. / 30.5 ft. A self-launching model was
developed later. The Vintage Sailplane
Association has plans.
Sailplanedirectory.com Copyright 2006 Activate Media. Glider data contains
information Copyright www.ssa.org.